The other 5% is made of love

You have to feel sorry (or not) for a yarn distributor these days. Every claim you may put on a yarn label or website will be scrutinized.

… like this one!

irish_tweed

Maybe the missing 5% is a fudge factor.

(Don’t worry, it’s not cashmere. I’m sure KFI will fix it sometime. Everybody else, including Katia, says that the composition is 50/25/25 wool/silk/nylon.)

Speaking of yarn composition, something else has been bothering me for a long time:

knitpicks_donegal

This yarn contains “10% Donegal”. Just… Donegal.

Last I checked, Donegal was a type of tweed fabric. It doesn’t seem that they’re snipping little bits of fabric and sprinkling them on, or maybe spinning in bits of grass imported from Ireland. This leads to the inevitable conclusion that a yarn containing Donegal…

… is PEOPLE!

(If you don’t believe me, look at the pictures on Wikipedia of Donegal and County Donegal. There is a suspicious lack of people in those photographs, except for a few hapless tourists.)

doomed_tourists

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to The other 5% is made of love

1. Shannon says:

Or “bits we snipped off Uncle Sean’s jacket when he passed out after a little too much potcheen?”

2. weeza says:

Maybe they missed off the words ‘tweed factory floor sweepings’?

3. mia says:

hee hee. Drum carder of destiny!! Thank you for pointing that out, it has been bugging me for a while too. What is it??? Donegal.

4. Bonne Marie says:

I had the same WThe moment this afternoon reading that fiber description while going 50pmh on the train! FARGO anyone??

So loosely attached that you were tempted to pull them off?

… that strikes me as an odd choice for them to make when designing the yarn. I suppose I’d want them to be attached a little more firmly than that.

6. Cynthia says:

I’ve been wondering about that Donegal for a while too. But the yarn is sort of like their regular sock yarn, but with garnetted bits of something or other loosely attached — so loosely that I was tempted to pull them off as I knit. They look like bits of laundry fluff that got stuck to your socks. So I think they really might be Donegal tweed fabric (or some cheap version of same), run through the Drum Carder of Destiny.

7. Kim says:

LOL – and I’m watching Dexter while I read this. Sounds like something they’d do on that show.

8. Lynne E. says:

Drum carder of destiny, indeed! Still chuckling. You make a very good point.

9. Christy says:

I’ve been wondering about the Donegal for a while myself. note to self: if I ever make it to Ireland, avoid the drum carder of doom in Donegal…

10. janice in GA says:

OMG, the “drum carder of destiny” made me LOL out loud.*

*A “Monk” reference.