Right hand, meet left hand

As noted in the comments to the last post, Yahoo has taken up knitting:

This is on the main page of Yahoo Groups right now. I logged out and reloaded the Groups homepage just to make sure it was still there. If you click on the “Stitch ‘n’ Bitch” icon, you’re taken to the listing of knitting-related mailing lists hosted by Yahoo. All 1701 of them.

Of course the irony is that Yahoo just deleted some groups that had “stitchnbitch” or some variant in their titles, but likely the people responsible for handling suspected IP violations aren’t the same people who decide how to present information to the user.

Well, any interested party who might object to this new STITCH &/N/AND BITCH usage knows where to find Yahoo’s intellectual property policy.

This entry was posted in stitch v. bitch, themes. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Right hand, meet left hand

1. pippi says:

AYE!
    too funny!

2. Norah says:

Yahoo has since replaced the words “Stitch ‘n’ Bitch” with “Nifty Knitters”.

3. Jenn says:

While I think your desire to be objective is admirable, I think they’d just steal your work and not really mean it. Don’t help them. They are actively choosing to take the low road.

4. Laura says:

Eliza,

I was speculating along the same lines in regard to Yahoo. Perhaps it is mere coincidence, but I think the timing is awfully convenient. They are really proving one of the points in Debbie Stoller’s cancellation petition for her — that the phrase is too generic in this usage to be the trademarked name of an online forum for knitting/sewing/etc.

5. Donna says:

Check it now! I think both hands are speaking.

6. Scout says:

It makes no SENSE!

I thought you’d like to see my latest post though.

HA!

7. Steph says:

That is very funny. So do SFSE read this site regularly? Are you helping them out here?

8. Eliza says:

My comment was a little truncated,in the middle(?). Apologies. It does not read quite the way I intended but it’s essentially correct.

9. Eliza says:

Perhaps Yahoo is being deliberately ironic. Until SFSE serves them with another Cease and Desist it’s Yahoo’s joke!

Y’all may be interested in this:
    I read a historic reference to Stitch and Bitch groups in the article on the back page of Interweave Knits, Fall 2002 issue, “Ravelings” column, entitled “A Knitting Circle”, by Susan Lyndon…it includes some other mentions of SNB along with this comment:
    >…the only Stitch and Bitch club I knew was a group of women who feature prominently in “Animal Dreams” by Barbara Kingsolver. The LA women in my group hadn’t read the novel but the name is such a natural that they could have plucked it from the air… = mentioned on the back page of Interweave Knits – Spring 2003 by Gail Graemer in her “Ravelings” column called “Following Grandma’s Way”:
    >…My Mother tells how every Tuesday my grandmother had her “DSI” or “Damn Sit Around” where she would knit with her friends….